You will need to first create your program from your Serve Tennis admin area. Once you have done this, you will manage the program on the app.
*There is no way to manage the event on a PC. If you have a larger tournament, then the tournament module would be better. The purpose of the WTN Match Play App is that it can be created on the court on a phone. It has limitations and not all the features that are in the tournaments module.
You will need to be a Super Admin, Admin or Program Administrator on Serve Tennis to have access to the Match Play on the app. See Getting Started with the USTA Serve App (match play) After you have downloaded and signed into the app, follow steps below.
First: Open the USTA programming app, in the schedule, look for the date of the first day of the event.
Getting Started with the USTA Serve App (match play)
Once you have identified the correct session -
Step 1: To check players in: Tab into your WTN Match Play session, you will then enter the ‘Check In’ Screen where you can check in players that have registered for the session on the day.
You also have the option (using the ‘+’ icon) to add either new or existing contacts to the sessions, which is useful if you have walk-ups to the tournament.
NOTE – When adding users this way, you need to ensure that you also add first name, last name and telephone number for the guardians.
Step 2: When you are happy with the players that are checked in, click on the blue ‘Match Play’ button in the header.
Step 3: Managing your WTN Match Play Program You can use the app to plan your tournament in advance and can modify the groups on the day as required.
The app will, automatically assign players to groups based on age and gender and WTN number (if they have one) this will also use inputs for the player on their ability. The tick indicates the players who have signed in.
- To move players into other groups by pressing on the 3 lines (far right of each player row) and dragging the player to the desired group
- Move players into ‘Unassigned’ (this is useful if the player is not yet checked into the session)
- Change the ball color preference for the group
Step 4: Once Groupings are complete, click on ‘Generate Matches’
Step 5 : Create the WTN Match Play events by clicking the +
Step 6: Choose a format:
- Round Robin- Create groups of up to 5 players each. Ideal for providing multiple matches for players of similar levels
- Individual Matches- Create ad-hoc matches. Perfect for providing wanting flexibility with match play scenarios
- Create a Round Robin
- Adding Scores:
- Adding Playoffs:
- Create Individual Matches
- Adding Scores for Singles and Doubles Individual Matches
Create Round Robin
- The schedule will be made for the tournament. You will be taken to the ‘Groups & Matches’ page. You can change the groups later if you need to.
- Groups tab: Players will show here under their assigned groups, standings for the players, click on each player to view their matches, and add or edit scores
- Matches Tab: Shows the list of all matches in the tournament listed by round number and where you can also find matches and add/ edit scores.
- Click the three dots(...) on the top right to:
- Edit Groups – Takes you back to the tournament set up screen. This can be used if you have players checking in late in the tournament, you have walk ups for the day or you just want to regroup some of the players. The only restriction is that if a player has already played a game they can not be moved to another group and a padlock icon will show against their name
- Share Scorecards – You can use this to print off a PDF of the schedule / results. (Note – This is not the final version and we will make a further release of this with some design updates later)
Score Formats – This is where you can set up the default score formats for the different sized groups
- Best of 3 short sets
- Single 6 game set
- Single 4 game set
- Single Timed set (available for orange, green & yellow ball)
- 2 out of 3 sets (3rd Tiebreak set)
- Help – A help guide on how to Edit Groups & Score Format definitions.
This can be done from the Matches/Groups tab for round robin
Step 1: Click the clue 'Add score' next to player names or the pencil to edit a score.
Step 2: Select a score format at the top. The list of available score formats is determined by the size of the group. Score validation is in place depending on the score format that has been chosen.
Step 3: Enter score into blocks and click 'Save Score'. Click 'Score option' to input 'Walkover, Retired, Walkover'.
Step 4: To publish scores after they are finalized, click 'Publish' or Add play-offs (see steps below).
Once scores are entered, you will have the option of adding a playoff. Click 'Playoffs' and click 'Add Matches'.
- Step 1: Click 'Play-offs' to add playoff
- Step 2: Click 'Add matches'
- Step 3: Select ball color and click 'Continue'
- Step 4: Click 'Select' to choose players, you can do this multiple times to add multiple matches.
- Step 5: Click 'Generate Matches'
- You will enter scores in the same way as in the main draw, see above.
- To publish scores to USTA, after they are finalized click 'Publish'
Create Individual Matches:
- Select the Singles or Doubles tab at the top
- For singles Add Matches: Tap 2 players to add a single match
- For doubles, add Teams and tap 2 players to pair
- Review and Generate matches
Adding Scores for Singles and Doubles Individual Matches
- Step 1: Click on the individual match. Select a score format at the top. The list of available score formats is determined by the size of the group. Score validation is in place depending on the score format that has been chosen.
Step 2: Enter score into blocks and click 'Save Score'. Click 'Score option' to input 'Walkover, Retired, Walkover'.
Step 3: To publish scores after they are finalized, click 'Publish' by going back to the Events screen.
- No PlayTracker rules applied
- Green and yellow ball results that are recorded and submitted will be counted towards WTN. Orange ball should be filtered out and not counted.